Surrealism can be some of the wackiest, but coolest photography out there. Also some of the hardest to create. Really anything is possible to make with enough imagination… and skill. Looking at more professional surrealisms can inspire you, but damper your spirits once you realize that what they have done is way down the street from where your at. But no one gets anywhere when they compare themselves to others, so I had to switch my train of thought of “I could never do that” to “Lets see how much I CAN do”.
Link for inspiration – Here, Here, Here, and Here!
Here we go.
This is my finished product of my first attempt at surrealism. It actually turned out better than the original sketch in my head – surprisingly haha. Iv’e always loved trying to do this type of photography because there is so much room for imagination. I tend to get really into it which I love. I really like getting knee deep into my projects. Below I will show the separate pictures I used as well as the steps that took me to the final. Enjoy!
Heres my light source – Bee lights.
Now I added the main focus. I wanted to have levitation in this photo so with the prior skills of last year, I knew how to make my idea happen.
I put on a big, white dress that has become a permanent prop for my photos since last year photography. I set up everything and had to move the cars from the garage and any other distracting factors. Since fall has come and gone, there was left over leaves on the floor of the garage, which inspired me for some other contributing factors along the way (which will be seen).
Here is the product of when I took the latter away by layering and masking out.
Here I added the texture I wanted by just making it look a little grundy. I don’t know if it too obvious that I did anything because its sorta hard to see in this small sample, but I used photoshop brushes from brusheezy.com. I dodged and burned over the body and face as well.
Now I started adding leaves to the photo. Here is the original photo of the leaf I took. I edited this pretty heavy before adding it to my surrealism. This is one of the separate photos I used.
Here I made a cut out of the leaf and shrunk it down.
Now i’m going to start adding leaves, since this was my original idea. Here is a screen shot of my whole screen while working in photoshop. As you can tell, my layers pallet is adding up by this time since I started adding leaves one by one. I realized that I could have just used a photoshop brush of a leaf and made it easier on myself, but I wanted the leaves to look more realistic.
Now the leaves are pilling up. I went awhile by coping each new leaf and adding more and more, but then once I realized that if I wanted a heap of leaves on the ground, this process would take forever.. So I turned to the trusty cloning tool. I didn’t need the leaves super clear and crisp as the ones floating above anyways. The cloning gave the illusion of the leaves in one huge pile. In the above photo it looks pretty fake, but as I went on, I planned to darken and burn, to help fade the leaves all together.
Screen shot of layers pallet while leaves build up. There is effects on each one since I added different opacity and effects to each leaf.
By now, I was finished with my bottom leaves so I combined all layers in able to fix my levels.
I adjusted my levels to now start added my darkness effect that I wanted. I began adding more leaves and thought I might be done… But then thought I wanted a tree in the photo. Going on line, I found tree branch brushes that I played with a bit until I found the exact effect I liked.
By now I combined all the layers again, and I found out that every time you do this, the contrast gets darker. It once got to a point where it was too dark, and I needed to lighten it with my levels.
So I’m almost done, but a few more things.
I went in to change and alter the lighting and contrasting. These were my layers for the above photo.
Next! To add my Moon 🙂 And yes I took this photo. No pictures from the internet sir!
I remember screen shooting my moon cut out, but I’m not sure where it saved to. But I used the magnetic lasso tool for this job, which worked out great.
Here above I added the moon to the photo and started playing with the opacity and textures.
Here is where I ended with my moon. I tried to fade the bottom of the moon into the darkness as best as I could because I didn’t want a sharp edge. It would have look cheesy and fake. I used a smoke brush tool to create texture.
Heres the zoomed out and finished product again. Original I didn’t plan to put a moon in, but now that I did, I’m very happy with the results.
I’m proud of myself for the effort I made in this. I worked hard and gave it my all. I hope in future times I will continue to learn the best ways of photoshopping through surrealism and to expand my knowledge.